Road surface is `dangerous'
her daughter was involved in.
Kennalene Durham told The Royal Gazette how her daughter Kennisha Leverock came off her cycle on Monday whilst navigating the bend on North Shore Road, opposite the entrance to Old Road.
Ms Leverock suffered severe abrasions to her arms and legs and has lost the use of her left hand due to deep lesions on it.
The road where the accident took place had just been resurfaced by the Ministry of Works and Engineering and Ms Durham claims the loose gravel on the road caused her daughter's cycle to slip out from underneath her.
According to Ms Durham, another young woman had a similar accident in the opposite lane on the same stretch of road when that was resurfaced a week earlier.
Ms Durham said she had contacted Permanent Secretary of Works and Engineering Stanley Oliver the night of the accident to get the gravel cleaned up before someone else was injured. She also said the Police officer who attended the accident agreed that it was a dangerous situation.
Ms Durham explained: "My daughter is a college student home for the holidays to earn a little money and now she is laid up until her hand is better. I just think that someone should be accountable for this.'' She also said there was damage to her daughter's cycle, the clothes she was wearing were ripped and there will be some expenses arising from medical costs.
Area resident James Rego said he had been asking Government to resurface the road for ten years because it was so dangerous.
"I have seen horrific crashes occurring there,'' he said. "The slightest bit of water on the road caused bikes to start spinning and sliding all over the place.'' He was therefore very glad when Government finally got around to resurfacing the road.
Mr. Rego arrived at the scene of Ms Leverock's accident moments after it happened. He told The Royal Gazette there were signs up warning of loose gravel and said he felt the accident could have been avoided if Ms Leverock had been paying closer attention.
"It's a lot safer now than it was before,'' he said and stressed that he and a neighbour had suffered serious property damage as a result of accidents which had occurred before the improvements were made.
He said the area should even be safer now as Works and Engineering have sent a sweeper truck out to clean up the loose gravel.
The Royal Gazette attempted to contact Works and Engineering Permanent Secretary Stanley Oliver for comment, but our call was not returned.
