Stalking victim meets Public Safety officials
Public Safety Minister Paula Cox is reviewing the Island's stalking laws to see if they need to be tightened to give women more protection, The Royal Gazette can reveal.
The Minister is awaiting a report from the Police before deciding whether there are loopholes in the 1997 Stalking Act which need to be closed.
The news emerged on Monday after Sandra Ruth, the first victim to successfully use Bermuda's stalking laws, met an official from the Ministry of Labour, Home Affairs and Public Safety to discuss the stalking laws.
The meeting was arranged after The Royal Gazette revealed that Ms. Ruth claimed her former boyfriend Carlos Astwood, who was released from jail earlier this year after pleading guilty to trying to poison her, was stalking her once again.
Mr. Astwood, a former Mr. Bermuda-body builder, vigorously denies the claims and said he would be making a formal complaint to Police alleging Ms Ruth was stalking him.
Ms Ruth said originally that the laws were inadequate because Police told her there was nothing they could do to stop the alleged stalking unless she got a restraining order from the courts.
It transpired that the existing legislation does allow Police to arrest someone if "just cause'' is shown to suspect they are stalking.
Ms Cox had offered to meet Ms Ruth after hearing her claims. At yesterday's meeting however, Martin Law, the co-ordinator of security services at the Ministry of Labour, Home Affairs and Public Safety, stood in for the Minister.
Ms Ruth said: "The meeting went very, very well and I am quite pleased with the result.
"They said they were going to look at making some amendments to close up loopholes in the Act.'' Mr. Law said: "The Minister is looking to see if the legislation does go far enough and if there are any improvements that can be made.
"When the story broke in the press, there was a misinterpretation of the existing law, which did, in fact, provide more comfort for a person in a stalking situation than Ms Ruth believed.'' Mr. Law said Ms Cox was awaiting a report from the Police on how the new legislation was working before deciding if changes need to be made.
He added that the dialogue between the Police and the Ministry began before Ms Ruth's case was publicised.
Mr. Astwood, 34, was jailed under the Stalking Act two years ago for attempted grievous bodily harm when he pleaded guilty to lacing orange juice, milk and food at Ms Ruth's home in St. George's with paint thinner.
Concern: Public Safety Minister Paula Cox
