Teens put in jail for taking $10
A courtroom erupted after a Magistrate remanded two teens for breaking, entering and stealing $10.75 and a SoBe soft drink from a diner.
And the complainant was among those who objected to the Magistrate's decision.
Andrew Christopher Warren, 17, of No.2 Cherry Hill Park in Paget, and 18-year-old Derek Jermaine Caines, of No. 17 Silvan Dell Road in Paget, pleaded guilty to the charge in Magistrates' Court yesterday.
Prosecutor Veronica Gordon said Brenda's Poolside Diner on South Road was broken into around 3 a.m. on May 31, 1999.
Brenda Spencer, who operates the diner, reported that the cash and the SoBe had been stolen. Police were called in and later collected fingerprints from the scene of the crime.
Both Warren and Caines were brought in for questioning. Warren admitted standing guard while Caines took the items, but Caines said they both entered the premises. They were arrested and charged.
Yesterday, Magistrate Edward King ordered a social inquiry report and asked the Social Services officer how long the report would take.
When the officer said six weeks, Mr. King said it was too long and said it needed to be completed in two weeks.
"Something ought to be done... I know you're probably short staffed, but that's not my problem. If it's a manpower problem or a computer problem, it can be solved... every effort should be made to reduce the waiting time.'' He remanded the two teens in custody for two weeks pending the social inquiry report, and added: "The burden is on you to get the report done.'' A man in the courtroom began to mutter "that's wrong, that's wrong'', and Mr.
King threatened to throw him out of court.
Lawyer Juliana Jack, who was appearing on a different matter, said she was shocked the two teens would be remanded despite having clean records.
But Mr. King said anyone who disagreed with his decision could appeal to the Supreme Court.
When duty counsel Peter Farge suggested people may not have the finances to appeal, Mr. King said: "Appeal pro bono.'' Mrs. Spencer, the complainant in the matter, also stood up and objected to the remand, stating: "I know they're wrong, but to lock them up or remand them in custody is a burden on the taxpayer and it's not going to do them any good.
"I have feelings as a mother. .. they need to be taught a lesson and pay for the broken screen, but if you lock them up it'll make them worse,'' she added.
Teens remanded in custody But Mr. King ordered that the two teens be taken away, and later stated: "It's a wake-up call, a short sharp shock -- that is tough love.'' Last night, Mr. Farge told The Royal Gazette he was trying to secure legal aid for the pair in preparation of an appeal.
