Log In

Reset Password

Workers planning weekend overtime ban: Docks chaos looms

A union ban on overtime could be steering the docks towards chaos as it gears up for its largest shipment ever.

Workers at Stevedoring Services have refused to do extra hours this weekend -- just as the Hamilton depot prepares to welcome 1,000 tonnes of new equipment for Bermuda Electric Light Company.

And it is understood that the 61 staff who are affected by the order could be in contravention of labour laws after the Bermuda Industrial Union apparently failed to give the required notice for an overtime ban.

Management at Stevedoring Services and Labour Minister Paula Cox have been trying to resolve the dispute, which blew up out of the blue this week.

It is not clear what the action is over, which occurred when BIU president Derrick Burgess was off the Island.

There will be no overtime working at the docks this weekend, and regular container ship arrival, the Oleander , will remain unloaded until Monday morning.

The Belco shipment, on the heavy lift carrier Project Orient , is due later in the week. But any delay in handling the Oleander , Somers Isle and Bermuda Islander could hit the extra load as well as normal deliveries.

Belco have laid intricate plans for moving the equipment, but that could be thrown into doubt if the dispute is not resolved.

Last night, Ms Cox confirmed that both sides had been meeting and would try to resolve the issue early next week.

She declined to comment on what the dispute was over and whether the union was acting illegally by ordering the ban.

"If the parties are in contravention of the law, then appropriate action will be taken,'' she said. "It is at a critical period. We are trying to get a resolution.'' It is understood that early last week, the BIU gave a five-day notice of an overtime ban, but implemented the restriction before the period had expired.

In addition, workers are required to give 21 days notice of any industrial action.

If the ban continues, then Belco could face difficulties in moving their new engines and generators.

Road closures are planned as the company aims to move the material through Hamilton to its Serpentine Road headquarters over a three-week period. Their schedule was due to begin on or around Thursday.

The dispute is the latest episode in a troubled recent history for Stevedoring Services and its workers.

In April, Ms Cox had to intervene after docks workers walked off the job following the suspension of an employee over holiday. They eventually returned after recognising the strike was illegal.

And another wildcat overtime ban last September caused chaos with Bermuda's vital imports.

Dockworkers in overtime ban One company was forced to charter an extra vessel to ensure goods reached their destination and tonnes of imports waited on the dockside as only normal hours were worked.

The dispute was eventually settled after talks on payments took place between the company and the port workers division of the BIU.

Stevedoring Services president Michael Lohan could not be contacted for comment last night. And Labour Relations officer Glenn Fubler said he could not comment on the negotiations.

SHIPPING SHI BUSINESS BUC