Immigration policy hits single parents
An Immigration policy banning local companies from recruiting single parents from overseas is plaguing the Bermuda Hospitals Board's effort to get a Chief Executive Officer.
The Royal Gazette can reveal that the Immigration Board was unable to grant a work permit for the BHB's second choice for the top post as the candidate -- a Jamaican woman, is a single mother of two.
According to Chief Immigration Officer Martin Brewer "single parents are not allowed to be recruited abroad'' and Immigration policy stipulates that couples immigrating to Bermuda should not have more than two children.
Mr. Brewer noted that work permits were not issued to single parents or couples who have more than two children.
BHB chairman Raymonde Dill this week said he was unaware of the policy glitch.
"I am not aware of any communication from the Immigration Department to cause us any concern,'' he said in respect of the work permit for the CEO candidate, "so I imagine the process is moving along.'' In July, the BHB had announced plans to have a new CEO in place by September.
Ban on single parents However, it was already near the end of September when their first plan fell through.
The Board aborted plans to bring in their first choice candidate, Canadian Wayne Keddy, when they discovered during contract negotiations that he had faced allegations of sexual misconduct in a former job.
Mr. Dill and deputy chairman Ianthia Wade then jetted off to Jamaica to re-interview the second choice candidate. By the middle of last month they presented their request for the single mother of two to the Immigration Department and had hoped it would be rushed through.
Just last week the BHB came under fire. In the House of Assembly last Friday, Opposition MP Kim Young criticised the length of time it is taking to fill the CEO position.
She noted that the Board had an entire year in which to find a replacement before former CEO Sheila Manderson retired.
Mrs. Manderson vacated the post at the end of July. At that time the Board appointed Lucille Parker and Joan Dillas Wright to assume the posts in acting roles at the King Edward VII Memorial and St. Brendan's Hospitals, respectively.
The file of the Jamaican candidate has been deferred by the Immigration Board to Labour and Home Affairs Minister Paula Cox.
AIRPORT TALKS PLANNED UNK FLY RG P5 10.11.1999 Airport talks planned Airport workers are set to meet with Government and management in the next few days after yesterday's frank talks over poor working conditions.
It is understood workers are unhappy with the setup at the airport including conditions in the Customs long room and at the courier facility.
Bermuda Public Services Association General Secretary Ed Ball Jr. said talks seemed to be going well and they would probably resume soon after the Remembrance Day holiday.
He said: "We are working feverishly to get these issues resolved.
"These issues have been outstanding for quite some time.
"We are looking at improving morale and trying to improve operations and efficiency at the Customs. A happy workforce makes for a better work force.''
