Magistrate takes tough line against traffic offenders
soft touch.
And he pointed out that the number of $200 fines he issued in one day exceeded his annual salary.
"They (offenders) could cut a deal and give me only 10 percent,'' Mr. King said at the end of yesterday's traffic court session. "They would not do that because I would end up at the top end.'' Most of the traffic violators in court yesterday were booked by Police on April 6, 1999 for driving without due care, and failing to stop at the junction of Stowe Hill and The Lane in Paget.
Sonia Bremar, 33, of Whaling Hill, Southampton, pleaded guilty to riding her cycle number AL 384 without due care and attention. She received a fine of $200.
The court heard that on April 6, 1999 Bremar was riding down Stowe Hill then east towards The Lane. She rode on the inside of a line of traffic, cutting in and out of vehicles.
"There was nothing coming, the traffic was stopped so I eased out on the right,'' said Bremar.
But Mr. King told the traffic offender if the left lane was blocked up with traffic, she was not to ride on the right lane.
He expressed concern that motorcyclists do not follow cars on East Broadway, but overtake on the inside or use even the sidewalk. And Mr. King was not amused when a man asked to pay his fine after Cup Match.
"I do not believe in powder puff fines,'' said Mr. King.
He repeated a suggestion that the soda machine in the corridor of the court should be replaced with a bank ATM machine.
NO SYMPATHY FOR CELL-PHONE DRIVERS CTS No sympathy for cell-phone drivers Distracted drivers talking on their cell phones while behind the wheel will find no sympathy from the courts.
Police sounded this warning after a Pembroke man was charged in Magistrates' Court yesterday with driving without due care.
Police spokesman P.c. Alan Oliver said there has not been much opposition from the public concerning the use of cellular phones by drivers. But he said the Police were concerned about cellular use and how it may relate to potential accidents.
"The Police service will take the necessary steps to see that these drivers are prosecuted,'' he warned.
His warning came after the court yesterday heard that Frank Schmitz, 40, of Shelton Road, was driving a white Ford Ranger east on South Road in Warwick on June 23 of this year. Schmitz was behind the wheel of the truck when he nearly collided with a passing car, but managed to swerve the truck, avoiding a collision.
At the time of the incident, Schmitz had been using his cellular phone. When asked yesterday whether he had anything to say, Schmitz responded: "I do apologise your Worship.'' He also asked Magistrate Edward King to allow him to keep his licence because he said he needed it in order to work.
Calling Schmitz's actions "dangerous driving'', Mr. King ordered him to pay a $300 fine. He also said more people should be prosecuted for driving without due care, such as not paying attention while talking on a cell phone.
And he suggested that people find a system where they do not have to drive while holding a phone in one hand with the other hand holding the wheel.
