Couple launches scholarship for pharmacy students
Pharmacist Kiran Shah is convinced he choose the right career for himself and now he hopes to give young Bermudians a helping hand down the same path.
Father-of-two Mr Shah and his wife Lauren have launched a $4,000 annual scholarship for local students planning to pursue a degree in pharmacy.
The couple, who own Point Finger Road Pharmacy, are appealing for applications for the cash before August this year from those starting pharmacy school in September.
Mr Shah, 37, told
The Royal Gazette that having two children, 17-month-old Tristan and six-week-old Annabelle, had really focused his mind on the “next generation”.
“It’s a bit of a cliché but it’s totally changed my view of things,” he said. “The advice I’d give to my son is that when you grow up you have to get a qualification.
“One of the biggest frustrations I have had being a small-business owner in Bermuda is the lack of Bermudians who have done pharmacy.
“As parents of two young children, we are acutely aware of the need for young Bermudians to get a qualification that can provide a secure job in these tough economic times.
“From a job security point of view, it’s great. This is one qualification you can get, come back to Bermuda and be guaranteed a job.
“It’s not that glamorous, admittedly, but nowadays I think people take security over glamour.
“I want to make sure that any student that wants to do it doesn’t have to find finances a problem. This goes towards attaining their goal.”
He added that he’d already been told of one student starting her pharmacy degree in September and hoped to hear from other applicants.
* Anyone interested in applying for the scholarship can e-mail info[AT]pharmacy.bm or visit www.pharmacy.bm.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service