National Trust presents annual awards
Bermuda National Trust celebrated “the incredible work” of a number of individuals and organisations at their Annual Awards ceremony held at Elbow Beach Hotel.
A packed hall saw certificates and trophies presented by Governor George Fergusson, Minister of Environment Cole Simons and Leah Scott, representing the Ministry of Education.
The Trust has been presenting the awards annually for four decades to individuals, organisations, groups and schools who have “worked for the benefit of Bermuda and its people, to preserve places of beauty or historical interest, buildings, artefacts, lands and animal and plant life, and to promote their appreciation,” said press release.
Education and Young Environmentalist awards
Education School Programmes Certificates: Lyceum Preschool for transforming an uninspiring concrete deck into an exciting outdoor classroom.
Wee Environmentalist Award: Southampton Preschool for the survey ‘TAG - you’re it!’ on recycling habits at the west-end primary schools.
The Education School Programmes Certificates: Somersfield Academy for their water bottle and drinking fountain initiative.
The Michael Darling Shield: Saltus Grammar School for The Saltus Island project.
Young Environmentalist award
• JP Didyk for his passion for a healthy environment and for creating ‘Clean Habitats’
• Kairo Morton and Yassine Chentouf for creating an APP to identify and record ghost nets in the ocean
• Magnus Henneberger for his work as a youth Ambassador for Plastic Tides
• Ag Show Ltd for organising the return of the Bermuda Agricultural Exhibition
• Hidden Gems of Bermuda Ltd. for the popular and successful eco-tourism company
• Bacardi International for the sustainable initiative that provides employees bicycles to travel around Hamilton
The Deforest Trimingham Award: gassProductions for the Ocean Vet Series
Awareness and Environment Awards
• Groundswell for the popular annual Lionfish Tournament
• Bermuda Audubon Society and Deloitte for the Seymour’s Pond Nature Trail
• Bermuda Zoological Society for the Trunk Island restoration project
• Natasha Butterfield for cleaning up and maintaining the former Railway building and trail off Camp Hill in Warwick
The Patsy Phillips Bermudiana Award: Gertrude Gierlinger for 30 years of Bluebird rehabilitation
Preservation and Architecture Awards
Architecture Award: Germano Botelho - BotelhoWood Architects for the sensitive renovation of Elm Lodge Cottage, Harbour Road, Warwick
• Joy Rothwell and David Fox for the attractive restoration of the exterior of 13 Water Street in the Town of St. George’s
• Ministry of Public Works, Horsfield Landscape and Design Ltd. For building the Bermuda stone wall in the traditional style at the bus stop at the junction of Chapel Road and Middle Road, Paget
• BCM McAlpine - carpenters Hans Bruun, Kenneth Burch and Emanuel DeMelo for outstanding carpentry work on Springfield’s Verandah
• Wedco for restoring the windows of Building No. 9 Dockyard
The Clipper Award: Richard Lowry for commitment to the island’s built heritage and contributions to the Bermuda National Trust
Staff Long Service Awards are awarded to acknowledge outstanding commitment to the Bermuda National Trust
5 yrs + Vincent Chaves, Donella Perinchief, Duane Symonds, Jackie Robinson
10 yrs + Randy Denbrook
25 yrs + Saleem Madyun
Service Awards are awarded to acknowledge outstanding voluntary service and support to the Bermuda National Trust:
• Connie Dey for her outstanding voluntary commitment to the Trust
• Steve Woodward for managing the Bermuda National Trust audit for 10 years
Awarded by the president of the Bermuda National Trust for a service, gift or contribution supporting the mission of the Trust: • The Estate of Jean Cox Spence for donating the historic house Devondale and its 10 acres of woodland and farmland to the Bermuda National Trust
Palmetto Award is the National Trust’s highest annual honour and is awarded for outstanding service to the community in areas of concern to the Trust or service to the Trust itself.
• Diana Chudleigh for enduring commitment and service to the Trust over many years and most recently, the Tucker House guide book and garden redesign