Florence expected to pass Bermuda tonight
Hurricane Florence is expected to pass to the south of the island tonight as it heads for the US East Coast.
The Bermuda Weather Service said the Category 4 hurricane is expected to pass 353 miles to the island's south-southwest at 9pm.
A spokesman said: “Southeasterly swells reaching 15ft especially along the south shore may produce dangerous rip currents.
“Swells and winds will begin to diminish after midnight tonight, yet still stay strong through Wednesday.”
The storm was 360 miles south-southwest of Bermuda and moving west-northwest at 17mph at 6pm.
A series of hurricane watches and warnings have been issued along the coasts of North and South Carolina, where the storm is expected to land later on Thursday or Friday.
The storm is packing winds of 140mph and is expected to grown in strength tonight and tomorrow before weakening on Thursday.
The US-based National Hurricane Centre said hurricane force winds extend outward up to 60 miles from the centre of the storm and tropical storm force winds extend up to 175 miles.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service