Group thanks fitness instructor
The Royal Bermuda Regiment fitness instructor who helped the all-woman Bermuda Rifle & Drill Team put their best foot forward has been thanked for his efforts.
The group gave Sergio White, a Colour Sergeant in the RBR who runs Positive Results Gym, a bottle of wine, other gifts and a cash donation as a reward for training the squad.
Debbie Symons, an RBR sergeant who leads the group of 30 women and 15 schoolgirls, said: “We are based on marching, fitness and team work. It is a sisterhood.
“He has stuck by me for the past six years and I just wanted to showed my appreciation by giving him something back. He has a big heart, like me.”
Mr White was happy to use his military skills to help train the team.
He said: “The girls enjoyed it, I enjoyed it and it has just grown. I did it from the kindness of my heart, I didn't expect anything from it. It's always good to give back.”
Ms Symons, in her last year of running the team, and other members of the group made the presentation at Mr White's gym on Woodlands Road in Pembroke on Tuesday.
The team has regular training sessions on the Warwick Camp parade ground and has marched in every Bermuda Day Parade since the group formed in 2014.
Team member Gladwina O'Mara said: “I have a background in the Bermuda Police Service as a detective constable so the drill was familiar.
“I enjoy the level of exercise, the regiment, and it was fun being part of the team.”
Lora Davis, another team member, added: “I'm an ex-member of the Bermuda Regiment — the drill was my favourite part then and I knew this was something I wanted to do.
“I'm also a police reserve, where I do drill, so it was a continuation of what I like to do.
“It's the discipline and the exercise and our fitness sergeant has kept us in step.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service