Workforce development scholarships
“The next generation of leaders, managers and entrepreneurs” were presented with scholarship awards by the Department of Workforce Development yesterday.
Jason Hayward, the Minister of Labour, presented the awards to ten recipients at a ceremony at City Hall.
This year's awardees are furthering their studies in the fields of environmental science, business, dentistry, electrical engineering, biology and radiology.
Mr Hayward congratulated them saying: “All of you are studying in areas and occupations where Bermudians are underrepresented in our home country and the need to have Bermudians who are trained, and highly qualified is absolutely necessary.”
Mr Hayward added: “You have the opportunity to make your mark on the world stage and here locally in Bermuda.
“You, students, are the future. You have the intellectual capital needed to succeed. Add to that: intelligence, the development of your character, values, work ethic and personal resilience to ensure that you have a successful tomorrow.
“Once you have completed your studies and earned your degree, I encourage you to return and give back to our community.”
The scholarship recipients and their course of study are:
• Macy Aicardi, University of British Columbia, BA in Environment and Sustainability
• Shirwin Jones, Manchester Metropolitan University, BA (Hons) in Business Management
• Dawayne Smith, University of the West of England, BA (Hons) in International Business
• Naphisa Smith, Nova Southeaster University, a BS in Environmental Science
• Tess Richardson, Toronto College Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries, Diploma Certificate in dental hygiene
• Derek Tucker-Peters, University of Maryland, Electrical Engineering
• Zajae Lee, Xavier University of Louisiana, Bachelor of Science in Biology
• Daneika Bean, Keisar University radiologic technology
• Dawson Samuel Dates, Sherdian College Advanced Diploma in business administration
• Keshun Butterfield, New England Institute of Technology, business management