Bluebirds move back into league top spot
Young Men’s Social Club Lady Bluebirds regained top spot in the Senior Winter League after edging fellow title contenders New Life on Thursday night at Bernard Park.
Bluebirds handed New Life a 57-53 loss in a highly charged and evenly fought contest that went right down to the wire.
Daniel Raynor led Bluebirds to their 12th successive league win with a game-high 54 points while Ebonie Burgess accounted for the remaining points.
“I was very pleased with my scoring percentage,” Raynor said. “I was also pleased with my team-mates’ performances.
“It was a very intense match and the spectators’ hearts were pounding away. It was definitely a see-saw battle.”
Bluebirds’ coach Erika Russell, added: “Precision shooting coupled with shear aggression stifled New Life’s game plan.”
The league’s leading scorer Debbie DeShields poured in 46 points and Wenda Roberts eight in a losing cause for New Life, who were knocked off the top of the standings after slumping to their second loss of the season.
Bluebirds, who have yet to taste defeat this season, now top the standings by three points over New Life with six rounds of matches remaining in the 2011-12 Winter League campaign.
Netball action resumes today at Bernard Park, beginning at 5.30pm.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service