Devonshire by-election set for November 1
A by-election for the Devonshire South Central seat vacated by John Barritt will take place on Tuesday, November 1 three days before the reopening of Parliament.
Mr Barritt officially resigned his parliamentary seat on Thursday in order that Craig Cannonier, the newly-elected leader of the One Bermuda, Alliance can stand in his place. Mr Barritt had been interim leader of the Opposition until Sen Cannonier was chosen to lead the OBA on Saturday night.
The candidates standing for other parties in Devonshire South Central will not be confirmed until after nomination day on October 12. PLP press officer Curtis Williams would not comment yesterday on who the party plans to field.
United Bermuda Party leader Kim Swan has not responded to requests for comment on whether the party will field any candidates.
A formal Writ of Election will be issued on September 26, followed by a seven-day registration period for voters in the constituency that will begin on September 27 and end on October 3.
The polling station for the by-election will be the Horticultural Hall at the Botanical Gardens.
Useful website: www.elections.gov.bm.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service