Burt accuses Simons of misleading the public
The Premier last night accused the Leader of the Opposition of misleading the public with his response to the 2022/23 Budget.
Cole Simons, the OBA Leader, told the House that he had heard Bermuda had been moved onto the EU “grey list” because of a missed deadline, Mr Burt said he had been told the opposite by civil servants.
Mr Burt said Mr Simons’ comment was a “complete falsehood”.
He added: “The country deserves better.
“We are not perfect. Human beings are not perfect, and we can all do better in every aspect, but the least that you can do is get your facts straight when you come into this House, when you discuss important issues of the economy which are critical to so many people.”
Mr Burt was speaking at the end of a long session in the House, which featured Mr Simons’ reply to last week’s Budget statement.
He also took aim at comments by the Opposition that the budget had been used to take pot shots at the OBA.
Mr Burt said: “Out of the 33 page speech, 12,000 words, there were only 10 references to the OBA.”
He added that he would “love” to work with the Opposition, but that there could be no bipartisanship without both sides being prepared to work in good faith.
Mr Burt said Budget tax reductions may not be enough to ensure that hard-hit families could make ends meet, but he said it would help and more assistance would come.
He added: “Every little bit helps, and that is what we are committed to do.“
Mr Burt also said that the $50 million guarantee for the redevelopment of the Fairmont Southampton was justified.
He added that it was difficult to develop hotels in Bermuda, but that anything that would help hotels would benefit the public.
Mr Burt said: “If we are going to be giving concessions we need to make sure that our people get a piece of the pie because we are committed to building a nation of owners.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service