SOMPO to boost industry leadership for women
Bermudian-headquartered Sompo International Holdings Ltd has launched a programme that aims to better prepare young women to assume future leadership roles at the company.
The global speciality provider of property and casualty insurance and reinsurance said the Sompo Women in Insurance Management (SWIM) programme will begin in the United States in collaboration with High Point University in High Point, North Carolina.
It added that the goal is to ultimately expand the programme and approach to additional universities in the United States and internationally.
Chris Gallagher, chief executive officer of Sompo International Commercial P&C, said: “Navigating the strong currents of the global insurance industry takes diligent preparation, rigorous training, superior technical skills, courage and resilience.
“As we build upon and accelerate our long-term inclusive diversity strategy, we’re thrilled to be able to offer women from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to receive the education, exposure and experience that will help them lead and succeed in the dynamic and growing workforce environment at Sompo International.”
The company said the four-year programme includes financial support in the form of an annual scholarship, a paid internship at Sompo International after their third year, a dedicated Sompo International business advocate/coach, access to Sompo International leadership in a classroom setting, and the expectation of joining the Sompo International undergraduate training programme following graduation and successful completion of the programme.
Sompo said High Point University is a liberal arts institution with 5,600 undergraduate and graduate students. The university has 60 undergraduate majors, 63 undergraduate minors and 14 graduate degree programmes.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service