Biltir brings maths to life for students
The Bermuda International Long Term Insurers and Reinsurers organisation is providing young Bermudians with the opportunity to take part in a mathematics tutoring programme at CedarBridge Academy.
Twenty-three volunteers are helping with the programme.
Sessions will be held every two weeks until April 26 and the programme is intended to assist students preparing for IGCSE examinations beginning in May.
Matt McPhail of Fortitude Re and Lorita Su of EY are the organisers of the programme, with the key aim being to improve the math skills of young Bermudians.
“We thank Biltir for their ongoing support of our students,” said Neville Zuill, director at CedarBridge Academy. “Their volunteer tutors not only share their maths expertise, they share a love of math and real-life examples of how math can evolve into a career.”
Mr McPhail said: “Beyond supporting the students in their studies, this gives us the opportunity to connect with students and give them insights into future careers in the Bermuda insurance industry that will utilise maths; answering the age-old question students have of ‘when will I ever use this in real life’?”
Participating companies are Fortitude Re, F&G Life Re, Legal & General, EY, Resolution Re, Agam, Aspida Re, Monument Re, North End Re, Argus, Athora, Wilton Re, and 777 Re.
Biltir represents 56 life re/insurers and 21 associate members in Bermuda who provide life and annuity products and employ more than 1,000 people on the island.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service