Hornets crowned Premier Division champs
Dandy Town were gifted the Digicel Premier Division champions yesterday without even kicking a ball.
PHC, the only side still capable of overhauling Hornets, handed their rivals the title after drawing with relegation threatened Boulevard.
Hornets, who are eight points clear of Zebras, have claimed the championship with two games of the season to spare.
Damon Ming, Hornets’ veteran winger, said his team’s title triumph “hadn’t yet sunk in”.
“This league title is for our fans that have been with us the entire time, each game both home and away,” he said.
“We stuck in there and in the end it’s for the club and our fans.
“Our title is really a testament to our coaches, who have trained us well, and the players, who have brought into what they were saying.
“I want to congratulate my team-mates on this total team effort.
“We have had great harmony all season; we have played as a team all season, worked for one another and that’s what the game is about. Personal accolades which come with individual performances are good, but it’s nothing like the feeling when you win as a team.”
At the other end of the table, the survival battle is taking on an interesting complexion with just three points separating Southampton Rangers and the bottom two sides, St David’s and Boulevard. Blazers, who appeared doomed until defeating Robin Hood recently, still believe they can pull off the great escape.
“We have two games left against those that are fighting with us to stay in the top flight, but we are looking to take six points from the last two games and set ourselves up for survival,” said defender Ajani Gibbons.
Boulevard take on St David’s at BAA Field on Saturday night.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service