Village motivated for must-win match
North Village return to action tonight in the Cayman Islands with a ‘do-or-die’ clash against domestic champions Elite Sports Club at the TE McField Playing Field.
A victory would put Village in the driving seat to top their group, having opened their CFU Club Championship campaign with a 0-0 draw against George Town Sports Club at the weekend.
Assistant coach Stephen Coddington believed Village dominated against George Town but failed to convert their possession into goals, missing several clearcut chances.
However, he has backed Village to discover their scoring touch against Elite Sports Club, who Coddington described as Cayman’s “cream of the crop” having completed their domestic double last season.
“We were extremely disappointed with the result against George Town because we played very well and dominated for long periods,” he said.
“We made more possession, controlled the game and had clearcut chances that we couldn’t finished; that’s been the story of our season.”
Coddington insists Village’s destiny is still in their hands and believes victory over Elite Sports Club would probably be enough to see the Bernard Park outfit advance.
“Of course we have everything to play for,” he said. “Elite Sports Club are expected to beat George Town on Thursday, so if we win tomorrow then we will be the leaders and in a commanding position.”
Should Village advance to the next stage as one of the four group winners, or the best overall runner-up, they would meet Puerto Rico Islanders and Trinidad’s Caledonia.
J Williams, K Dill, S Fubler, D Tankard, T Burgess, J Davis, S Degraff, J Jennings (P Smith, 88), L Dill (K Bean, 50), R Bean, J Lee (V Tankard, 85)
North Village’s starting XI against George Town:
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service