Log In

Reset Password

Anderson times it right for St George’s

Jesse Seymour, right, had given Southampton Rangers an early lead that almost stood up

Southampton Rangers 1

St George’s 1

Phillip Anderson, the St George’s defender, picked the perfect time to score his first goal of the season driving home an equaliser two minutes into stoppage time at Southampton Oval as St George’s live to fight another day in the FA Cup.

Anderson pushed forward when St George’s won a throw-in near the halfway line and when the Southampton Rangers defence failed to clear the danger inside the box. Anderson blasted an unstoppable shot past Corey Richardson in the Rangers goal to force a first round replay between the two bottom teams in the Premier Division.

However, instead of an equaliser, Anderson’s goal would have been the winner had Macai Simmons not wasted a chance to equalise from the penalty spot on the hour mark.

Up to that point Jesse Seymour’s well-taken goal on 14 minutes stood between the sides, the former Cougars player tucking a low shot inside the post after collecting a cross from Shannon Burchall on the edge of the penalty box and picking his spot with his left-footed shot.

Rangers had a confident call for a penalty turned down by referee Martin Wyer late in the first half when Keedai Astwood went down from Jarreau Hayward’s challenge. Tre Govia had two chances to equalise in the closing minutes of the half, first heading over the bar and volleying straight at Richardson from ten yards.

St George’s battled hard in the second half for an equaliser and had a good opportunity when David Signor was brought down inside the penalty area by McQuinn Burch. However, Simmons dragged his penalty wide of Richardson’s right-hand post.

The visiting side kept up the pressure but could not find a way through as they pushed players forward. Rangers, still threatening on the break, could have sewn up the tie in the 80th minute when Khalil Symonds sliced a good effort wide of the far post from eight yards.



Southampton (4-3-3): C Richardson — A Rocker, M Burch, N Smith, J Dyer — V Perinchief, J Tucker,

J Seymour — K Astwood, K Symonds, S Burchall. Substitutes not used: N Mello, T Brown, D James,

S Swan, T Lowe, J Hill, J Smith.

St George’s (4-3-3): C Marshall — E Signor, P Anderson, J Hayward,

J Darrell — R Smith (sub: D Darrell, 58min), T Govia, D Signor —

M Simmons (sub: M Crane, 78),

J Bassett, J Denbrook (sub: D Lambert, 46). Substitutes not used:

M Tucker, K Bean, J Anderson,

G Wade.

Referee: M Wyer.