Log In

Reset Password

Simons subdued as Wilson gets fired

Little impact: Simons had a quiet game in Wilson’s final match in charge

Rai Simons will soon be playing under his fourth Chesterfield manager after Danny Wilson was sacked at the weekend.

Wilson was fired along with assistant Chris Morgan after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat away to Bradford City in Sky Bet League One.

Ritchie Humphreys, the left back, has been named as caretaker manager and will be in charge for tomorrow’s EFL Trophy game away to Luton Town.

The outgoing Wilson won the League Cup as a player with Luton, who edged holders Arsenal 3-2 in the 1988 final at Wembley Stadium.

Chesterfield, who remain in the relegation zone on goal difference, have only won six of their 26 league games this term.

“We feel that a change to the management team is necessary at this time to give us the best possible chance of securing our League One status,” Ashley Carson, the Chesterfield director and company secretary, said.

“We hope to be able to announce a new management team soon. We would like to thank Danny and Chris for their efforts and wish them all the best for the future.”

Wilson was appointed manager in December 2015, taking over after Dean Saunders’s spell in charge.

“He had a great affinity for the club and he’s an absolutely top-drawer manager, but it gets to the stage where you look at everything that’s happening and think ‘we have got to change something’,” Carson continued.

“We’ve just had to look at the bigger picture with all this, and feel the time is right, and that if we get a new [management] team in before the end of the month they can make some changes while the transfer window is open.”

Simons­ — who was signed by Paul Cook in April 2015 and also played under Saunders, Cook’s successor — started the match but had a quiet afternoon.

The Bermuda forward was limited to one shot from outside of the penalty box which soared over the bar before being replaced in the 68th minute.

Mark Marshall and Jordy Hiwula were both on target for fourth-placed Bradford who extended their unbeaten run to six games and remain without a defeat at home this term.

Marshall put Bradford in front after 22 minutes before Hiwula doubled the home side’s lead in the 44th minute.

Ched Evans twice went close to equalising for Chesterfield. First, he failed to connect with a return pass in the box after a defensive mix-up and then struck the woodwork.

Elsewhere, Huddersfield Town striker Nahki Wells was an unused substitute in his team’s 4-0 FA Cup third-round demolition of League One side Port Vale at home on Saturday.

Huddersfield took the lead when midfielder Jack Payne finished well after a free-flowing move.

Kasey Palmer’s deflected strike put the home side in control before Harry Bunn curled home a wonderful shot and Payne tapped in his second.

Jerome Thomas had Vale’s best chance, but fired over the crossbar from outside the area.

Also watching the action from the bench at the weekend was Reggie Lambe, the Carlisle United midfielder, who was an unused substitute in his team’s 4-1 defeat away to Colchester United.

Kurtis Guthrie led the home side’s charge with a hat-trick while Chris Porter grabbed their other.

Shaun Brisley replied for Carlisle with a looping header to cancel out Porter’s eleventh-minute strike that put Colchester in front.