Log In

Reset Password

Town demolish Trojans

Photograph by Lawrence Trott ¬ Na-eem Griffith outjumps Dandy Town's Angelo Simmons in yesterday's Friendship semi-final at Goose Gosling Field.

Dandy Town handed Somerset Trojans a 4-1 defeat in a lopsided FA Cup first-round replay at Somerset Cricket Club last night.

Town captain Angelo Simmons led the rout, scoring a brace and setting up another.

Drewonde Bascome got on the scoresheet and set up two of Simmons’s goals before Jahmel Swan capped Town’s emphatic victory with a volley with virtually the last kick of the game.

Substitute Antione Seaman scored Trojans’ consolation goal, while team-mate Damon Swan missed a penalty at a crucial juncture of the match.

Town, last season’s beaten FA Cup finalists, will face First Division X-Roads Warriors in the quarter-finals at Garrison Field on March 12.

Kwame Steede, the Town player-coach, was delighted to come away with the victory after finally seeing off nine-times FA Cup champions Trojans.

“Even though our goals were quality, we played in spurts,” Steede said. “We didn’t play football all game but when we did the result and the goals clearly showed.”

Trojans’ Justin Corday dragged wide and Hubert Butterfield blasted Swan’s free kick straight into the goalkeeper’s arms from close range.

Those missed opportunities proved costly for the home side as Simmons struck just before the half to put the visiting side ahead for good after slipping Bascome’s pass under the advancing Bean.

Trojans were awarded a penalty after Bascome handled in the area.

Swan buried his first attempt but referee Anthony Francis ordered the kick to be retaken after Trojans were penalised for encroachment. The midfielder’s second attempt crashed against the bar.

Things then went from bad to worse for the home side as Bascome thumped Simmons’s cross into the roof of the net.

Seaman pulled one back for Trojans but Simmons had the final say after stroking Bascome’s pullback home. Swan then punctuated Town’s convincing victory with a rasping volley seconds before the final whistle.