Pond continues to punch above her weight
Micah Pond, the Brookhaven College captain, continued her blistering start to the season during her team's recent victories over Eastfield College and Cedar Valley College.
The Bermudian midfielder was on target in the Lady Bears' 6-1 demolition of Eastfield in their Region 5 MAC Conference home opener last Friday and followed that performance up by scoring twice and producing as many assists in an 11-0 trouncing of Cedar Valley four days later.
Pond, who plays in goal for the Bermuda women's team, has now scored four goals during the Lady Bears' first three outings of the season.
“It has been great to watch Micah play this season,” Robert Williams, the Brookhaven College coach, told The Royal Gazette. “She is maturing and coming into her own as player and as a captain.
“Micah is what we call a complete midfielder. She does it all with her passing, heading, shooting and tackling. I believe that she's so dominant in the air because of how good she is as a goalkeeper and netball player.”
Williams believes that the best is yet to come from the multitalented athlete.
“The more that Micah performs at this level, the better she'll get,” he said.
“There are a bunch of schools asking about her already and there will be a lot more if she has a great season.
“The sky is the limit for her as long as she stays grounded.”
Pond is a surviving member from the Lady Bears squad that won both NJCAA Division III Women's Championship and Region 5 MAC Conference for the first time last season.
The Lady Bears boast an unblemished 3-0 record in conference play but will have their work cut out for them today against arch rivals Richland College, who are ranked two places above them in the Division III rankings at No 1.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service