Leverock leads Hood into three-point lead after blanking St George’s – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Leverock leads Hood into three-point lead after blanking St George’s

First Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next Last
Danté Leverock in action for Robin Hood at Wellington Oval today (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Callon Burns, left, battles to hold off Robin Hood’s Adrian Trott (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Touch tight: Callon Burns, right, gets to grips with Adrian Trott (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Sage Paynter, of St George’s, plays around Danté Leverock at Wellington Oval (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Robin Hood celebrate the opening goal, scored by Danté Leverock, centre (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Justin Bell, with ball, after putting Robin Hood 2-0 up (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Justin Bell gets his pass away before Alleyne Francis, of St George’s, can intervene (Photograph by Akil Simmons)
Alleyne Francis, of St George’s, enjoys time and space (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

St George’s Colts 0 Robin Hood 3

Robin Hood kept their unbeaten record intact with a comfortable win over St George’s Colts at Wellington Oval this afternoon.

First-half goals by Danté Leverock and Justin Bell combined with a Chae Brangman second-half penalty were sufficient to secure the points for Hood and open a three-point lead on champions North Village, who are in a bye week.

For St George’s, who started on the back foot with the sensational news that former Bermuda goalkeeper Freddy Hall was unavailable after being injured in a bike crash, it was a second defeat on the trot — halting any momentum gained from the surprising win away to Southampton Rangers two weeks ago.

A satisfied Hood coach John Barry Nusum reflected on his team’s performance, coming off a disappointing 2-2 draw with Southampton, having thrown away a 2-0 lead.

“We looked at our game last week and said that we need to keep a little more possession,” he said.

“We didn’t want to force the play when it wasn’t on, and we achieved that. We could have had more goals, but I think we became a little relaxed with the 2-0 lead. Overall, I would take the three goals and three points.”

The home team had a golden opportunity to open the scoring early when midfielder Jahron Dickinson, the hero from that solitary win over Southampton, cleverly chipped over the Hood defence for Sage Paynter, whose first-time shot crashed off a post with goalkeeper Jahquil Hill stranded.

This would serve as a wake-up call for the visiting side, who then started to take control of the game through Bell and namesake Justin Corday, their chief playmakers.

Hood opened their account midway through the half when a back-post header was knocked into the centre for Leverock to hit a leaning shot that sailed into the roof of the St George’s net, leaving the deputising Zeko Burgess with no chance.

Before St George’s could brush the dust off, Hood went two up when Chae Brangman robbed David Signor before sending in a low cross that left Bell the simple task of side-footing past Burgess.

St George’s made a double substitution early in the second half, bringing on Clay Darrell and Lashun Dill. The pair added spark to the home attack and they started to find holes in the Hood defence, with Darrell, in particular, threatening with his pace. However, the final touch in the attacking third was disappointing.

Burgess kept the scoreline respectable with back-to-back saves to keep out the Hood attack, the more noticeable a brilliant block from point-blank range to deny Aaron Nelson.

Darrell thought that he had pulled one back for St George’s midway through the half when he beat his marker and outrushing goalkeeper Hill to a through-ball, only to have his goal-bound shot denied by the outstretched boot of the recovering Leverock.

The match was put out of reach when Kenton Ottley gifted Hood their third with a handball as he attempted to clear. Brangman sent Burgess the wrong way with his spot-kick.

Darrell had the final chance for St George’s to salvage something from a difficult afternoon, but right on the final whistle his run and shot from the left nestled safely in the arms of Hill.


Robin Hood: Leverock 24, Bell 29, Brangman 76 pen


St George’s (4-1-4-1): Z Burgess — A Francis, O Bascome, E Signor, J Darrell — D Signor (sub: D McCallan, 72min) — C Burns (sub: L Dill, 53), J Dickinson, C Ottley, K Ottley — S Paynter (sub: C Darrell, 53). Substitutes not used: T Burgess, W Broadley, J Brangman, M Simmons. Booked: C Darrell, McCallan.

Robin Hood (4-2-3-1): J Hill — A Trott (sub: C Castle, 72), D Leverock, L Evans, L Steede — J Corday, P Parsons — A Nelson, T Goater, J Bell (sub: J Bather, 62) — C Brangman (sub: E Outerbridge, 78). Substitutes not used: T Bean, J Morrissey, N Outerbridge, A Russell. Booked: Leverock.

Referee: G Swainson.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published October 24, 2020 at 9:04 pm (Updated October 25, 2020 at 12:32 am)

Leverock leads Hood into three-point lead after blanking St George’s

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon