Lambe, Clemons help Stowmarket Town advance in Suffolk Premier Cup
Stowmarket Town, whose squad boasts Bermuda pair Reggie Lambe and Willie Clemons, secured their spot in the semi-final of the Suffolk Premier Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win away to Lakenheath FC on Tuesday night.
George Bugg broke through in the thirteenth minute with a goal that all but settled this quarter-final at The Nest.
The striker, who is back for a second spell at the Suffolk-based club, capitalised on a mix-up between goalkeeper Charlie Beckwith and a defender to slot home.
Fellow striker Luke Brown then took over from here, notching two goals inside of six minutes to put the game beyond the home side’s reach.
First, he beat Beckwith with a superb volley on the turn in the 37th minute to double the visitors’ advantage. He then grabbed a second before the dust had settled from a corner that bounced off several players, leaving him with a simple nod in.
Lambe, who came on as a second half substitute, nearly added a fourth. The forward broke free only to see his effort cleared by defender Lee Hammond on the goal line.
Compatriot Clemons was among those retaining their spot in manager Paul Musgrove’s starting eleven for the cup tie.
The convincing victory kept Stowmarket on course for a league and cup double.
They trail Isthmian League North leaders Canvey Island by a point with nine matches remaining in the season.
The eventual league winners will secure the automatic promotion spot, with the next four teams to compete in a play-off for the remaining promotion place on offer.
Clemons scored the only goal in Stowmarket’s crucial 1-0 win at home over fellow promotion hopefuls Grays Athletic in their previous league encounter at Greens Meadow at the weekend.
It was the 27-year-old’s seventh goal of the season since joining the club last October after having his contract at Swedish club Dalkurd terminated in December of 2020.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service