Zeiko Lewis opens account in Sacramento
Zeiko Lewis netted his first goal for new club Sacramento Republic in a 6-0 thrashing of Portland Timbers U23s in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup at Health Park on Thursday night.
After twice going close to breaking the deadlock, the Bermuda forward converted the home side’s sixth just before the interval to officially open his scoring account since joining them from USL Championship rivals Charleston Battery late last year.
Lewis also assisted in defender Duke Lacroix’s 35th-minute goal during his first full 90 minute appearance for USL Western Conference side Sacramento, who dominated this second round cup tie throughout.
Lacroix opened the scoring in the thirteenth minute when he buried midfielder Ferrety Sousa’s cross from the right.
Defender Damia Viader then marked his club debut with a goal in the 22nd minute after getting on the end of another precision Sousa cross to double the hosts’ advantage.
Matt LaGrassa headed in fellow midfielder Rodrigo Lopez’s corner four minutes later to completely kill the game off.
Lopez made it 4-0 in the 30th minute with a shot from just outside the penalty area after being afforded time and space.
Lacroix grabbed his second of the night with Lewis providing the assist before the latter rounded off the scoring in the 41st minute to rub more salt in the wound for their opponents.
Lewis joined Sacramento in December after agreeing to terms of an undisclosed deal and made his club debut on March 12 after coming on as a second-half substitute in their season opening 3-1 home win over El Paso Locomotive.
The 27-year-old scored five goals and had 10 assists, the fourth highest in the league, in 22 appearances in his final season with Charleston.
He was also named as Charleston’s most valuable player last season and was their leading scorer during the 2019 and 2020 seasons.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service