Donawa’s Solihull Moors secure promotion play-off spot
Justin Donawa’s Solihull Moors clinched their spot in the Vanarama National League promotion play -off with a convincing 3-1 home win over Dagenham & Redbridge at the ARMCO Arena on Saturday.
Despite being reduced to ten men after midfielder Jamey Osborne was shown straight red for a reckless tackle, the hosts were in full control leading 3-0 at the half.
Defender Callum Howe opened the scoring in the thirteenth minute when he took the ball on his chest just outside the area and arrowed a low drive in the bottom left corner.
Callum Maycock then doubled Solihull’s advantage in the 21st minute when he buried fellow midfielder Ryan Barnett’s deflected cross near the penalty spot.
The hosts suffered a setback when Osborne received his marching orders ten minutes later.
But despite of their numerical disadvantage, defender Alex Gudger converted a flick on from Harry Boyes’ free-kick from close range to place Solihull firmly in the driver’s seat with a three-goal lead at the interval.
Striker Josh Walker came off the bench to pull one back for the visitors when he headed home from a cross after play resumed in the second period.
The visitors piled on the pressure and went close on two other occasions when they struck the woodwork.
However, the hosts managed to hold on for a fourth successive win and secure a home play-off tie in either the eliminator round or semi-final stage.
Neal Ardley’s team are third in the Vanarama National League standings on goal difference over FC Halifax Town, who were held to a 1-1 at home to Aldershot Town.
The National League is the fifth tier of the English football pyramid.
Meanwhile, Bermuda forward Donawa has been out of action since last December when he suffered a fractured distal fibula during Solihull’s goalless draw away to Eastleigh.
Donawa suffered the ankle injury in the 29th minute at Eastleigh’s Silverlake Stadium following a tackle which required surgery.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service