Nahki Wells helps Bristol City advance in FA Cup
Nahki Wells and his Bristol City team-mates secured their spot in the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round with a convincing 3-0 win over Sky Bet Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion at Ashton Gate on Saturday.
The home side prevailed with goals from Sam Bell, who netted a brace, and Alex Scott with Wells involved in the latter’s 28th minute strike.
The Bermuda captain gained possession on the edge of the area and played Irishman Mark Sykes in behind and he picked out the advancing Scott, whose first goal of the season put the hosts firmly in control with a 2-0 cushion.
Bell opened the scoring with his first goal at Ashton Gate in the twelfth minute when he curled the ball into the far corner from a Matty James corner the visitors failed to clear.
The 20-year-old then capped the hosts fine display after controlling George Tanner’s cross and chipping the ball over West Brom goalkeeper David Button.
Wells was a constant threat and was unfortunate not to have added his name on the scoresheet after having a shot blocked by Button after being sent in the clear by Bell.
Elsewhere, Reggie Lambe grabbed a late winner to secure the points for Stowmarket Town in their Isthmian League North Division clash away to Brentford Town.
The Bermuda midfielder netted the winner in the 69th minute during a cagey affair at The Brentwood Centre Arena to get their promotion push back on track.
After a goalless first-half, Chris Casement put the visitors out front in the 49th minute to finally break the deadlock.
However, their advantage was short-lived as Bryan Ifeanyi grabbed an equaliser in the 66th minute to blow the game wide open.
But Lambe had other thoughts in mind and popped up with what proved the winner three minutes later with his second goal in three outings and ninth overall for the season to earn his team three vital points on the road.
Stowmarket are sixth in the standings, a point shy of the play-off positions.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service