Bermuda football teams to compete at International Island Games
Bermuda will be represented by under-23 men’s and women’s football teams at the NatWest International Island Games for the first time in a decade at the multi-sport event in Guernsey, Channel Islands, in July.
The group draw, which was made this week, has pitted the men’s team in group three alongside Greenland, Froya and Orkney, while the women’s team have been drawn in group one with Jersey, Hitra and Aland Islands. Sixteen teams will be competing in the men’s competition, with ten in the women’s.
The group-stage matches will take place from July 9 to 11, with the top teams from each group going through to the play-offs on July 13 and the finals taking place a day later.
“The football community in Guernsey is looking forward to the 2023 Games football t ournament, with excitement building now that the draw has been made,” said Gary Roberts, football co-ordinator for the Games.
“Everyone is aware of the growing popularity of the women’s game, particularly following England’s success in the Euros last year, and we look forward to welcoming the nine visiting women’s teams, along with the 15 visiting men’s teams, for what we anticipate will be very competitive competitions.”
Bermuda’s football teams last competed at the Island Games when the biennial event was held on home soil in 2013.
It proved a memorable event as both teams clinched gold, with the men’s team beating Greenland 1-0 in the final at North Field, National Sports Centre, while the women’s team came out on top against Greenland, prevailing 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out.
Bermuda will send a team of about 80 athletes to Guernsey to compete in ten sports, including archery, athletics, badminton, cycling, golf, sailing, shooting, tennis and triathlon.
Guernsey was due to host the Island Games in 2021 before the event was cancelled as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic but it has held on to its position as host.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service