Title rivals St George’s and Cougars meet in crunch clash
Title contenders St George’s Colts and Devonshire Cougars will square off in a blockbuster Premier Division clash at Wellington Oval today (3pm).
Hosts St George’s top the standings by a point ahead of PHC Zebras, with Cougars in third on goal difference over North Village.
Today’s crucial match-up will be the clubs’ second meeting in eight days, with St George’s holding a psychological edge having won the previous encounter in the FA Cup quarter-final 2-1.
Very little separated the teams on that occasion and St George’s coach Jarreau Hayward anticipates this clash to be just as evenly fought.
“Saturday will be another tough match-up against a top team in Cougars,” he said. “Hopefully, we have learnt the lessons from our last encounter.”
Hayward said his team is up for the task as they attempt to make further inroads towards a maiden league title in top-flight football.
“We are looking forward to the challenge,” he added. “It’s an awesome opportunity to test ourselves in the business end of the season.”
Elsewhere, relegation-threatened Robin Hood and Boulevard will face off at Goose Gosling Field (9pm), while in the First Division Southampton Rangers will host Devonshire Colts at Southampton Oval at 3pm.
Tomorrow’s remaining matches in the top flight will see Hamilton Parish host Somerset Trojans at Wellington Oval, X-Roads Warriors at home to PHC at St David’s, and North Village and Dandy Town do battle at Bernard Park.
In First Division action, leaders Wolves are away to fellow contenders Young Men’s Social Club at Police Field, third-placed Paget Lions host Ireland Rangers at Southampton Oval, while St David’s Warriors are at home to Somerset Eagles in a bottom-of-the-table affair.
BAA, who trail leaders Wolves on goal difference, have a bye.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service