FC Bascome to make debut in USL Academy Cup
FC Bascome will make their long-awaited debut in the prestigious USL Academy Cup in Tampa, Florida, today.
The local football academy is being represented by a total of 55 players who will compete in the under-13, under-15 and under-19 age groups.
FC Bascome’s youngest team will kick off their campaign against Southern Soccer Academy, while the under-15s face Swan City SC and under-19s take on South Ben Lions, with matches scheduled to start at 10am.
Coach Andrew Bascome says the players are excited and have worked extremely hard in preparation for the tournament.
“We are very happy with the preparations and the development of our players and coaches,” he said. “They have put in a lot of hard work over the years and they have really earned this opportunity.”
FC Bascome’s debut in the USL was delayed for three years owing to the coronavirus pandemic and resulting travel restrictions.
“USL and the Academy Cup is a very important part of our programme's vision, and we are very excited to finally be here,” Bascome added. “The target is always to win, but there is so much more involved in this opportunity.
“We are here to learn and observe, to better understand where our program is in relationship to the best clubs and teams within Concacaf, to network, to build relationships and further what we do.
“However, most importantly we are here to give the players a chance to express themselves and to use it for their own pathways towards a lifelong passion for the beautiful game. Only good things can come of out of this.”
FC Bascome’s programme philosophy is based on a desire to create the best possible environment for favourable player development.
“USL helps us in so many ways to fulfil these requirements and they have been outstanding to work with,” Bascome said.
“Their resources and enthusiasm have been fantastic, and we are honoured to be the first non US/Canada club to join the programme.”
The tournament runs until Sunday.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service