K’Xiyae Gibbons sent off in ugly scenes after final whistle as Under-20s lose to Jamaica
Bermuda 0 Jamaica 2
There were ugly scenes after the final whistle at the Women’s Under-20 Concacaf Qualifiers when Bermuda’s K’Xiyae Gibbons was sent off after a confrontation with the Jamaica team.
Gibbons, who needed to be physically restrained by Bermuda’s coaches and officials from further pursuing members of the opposing team, had been substituted midway through the second half after appearing to suffer with cramp.
Her loss of temper overshadowed a much-improved performance by Bermuda’s under-20 squad in their second Group E match in Nicaragua.
After losing heavily to Honduras on Friday night, it appeared that the national side were determined to bounce back and they put in a gritty defensive performance in the first half, with goalkeeper Samantha Davies producing some good saves behind a solid back four.
For video of incident click here and forward to 2:00:50
With the game 0-0 at half time, Bermuda were overachieving and hopes were high that they could pull off a shock result, but their defensive resistance was broken in the 47th minute when Shaneil Buckley scored a 25-yard stunner, which flew into the corner of the net with goalkeeper Davies left watching.
Working hard without much of the ball, Bermuda’s young players were visibly tired but they began putting Jamaica under pressure with an equaliser looking likely in the final 25 minutes, but the closest they came to scoring was in the 79th minute when Jahni Simmons struck a great free kick which was pushed over the bar by Jamaican goalkeeper Liya Brooks.
More pressure came with the final ball just proving elusive and in the second minute of added time, Jamaica’s Davia Richards buried a free kick into the bottom corner to extinguish Bermuda’s hopes of pulling off a surprise result.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service