Alen a winner in NY Mile
Jennifer Alen won her age group race in New York’s famous Fifth Avenue Mile road races at the weekend, while master athlete Gary Raynor was third in his age category.
It is the third time 27-year-old Alen has posted the second fastest time across all categories in the Open Women’s race, having done so in 2009 and 2010.
Alen, who led this year’s May 24 Half-Marathon until collapsing in the final mile-and-a-half, was previously a track racing specialist and displayed an impressive turn of speed in Manhattan as she clocked a time of five minutes and three seconds to win her division.
That time was seven seconds quicker than the personal best she set a year ago and gave her a three-second margin over her nearest rival in the 25-29 age group.The only runner in the Open Women’s category to post a faster time than Alen was Lauren Salisbury who ran 5.00 to win the 20-24 age division.
Meanwhile, in the Open Men’s race Gary Raynor was third in the 40-44 age division, clocking a time of 4.24, which is 14 seconds faster than the time he ran last January when he won the local men’s KPMG Front Street Mile.
In the 70-74 division Sid Howard, who has taken part in almost every Bermuda Marathon Weekend and May 24 Half-Marathon since the late 1970s, won in an impressive time of 6.00.
American Howard, 72, is regarded as an honorary Bermuda runner on account of his long-standing links with the Island.
The fastest runner across all age divisions was Arizona’s Ezkyas Sisay, 23, in 4.06.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service