Davis Cup team round off group phase with thumping 3-0 win
Bermuda’s Davis Cup team did exactly what they said they were going to after beating Curacao in their final match in Group E on Wednesday.
After narrow losses against Dominican Republic and Costa Rica in their opening two matches in Guatemala, coach Steve Bean and his young squad promised that they would not suffer another defeat against Curacao and they fulfilled that in some style with a 3-0 victory.
The win ensured Bermuda finished third in their group and Bean was pleased that Zach McGuire, Sebastian Pukk and Vinny Boisvert all ended that phase of the tournament with a taste of success
"Its a great win by the fellas and nothing was easy,“ Bean said.
“Zach went out and put in a good performance in the first singles match against a decent player. They had some tight rallies and some long games but when Zach got on top of him, the other guy started pressing too hard and made one or two errors.
“I’m glad I played Sebastian in the other singles instead of Vinny, who said he wasn’t feeling so good in the morning. He came down to breakfast sniffing a lot but he’s okay and when he realised he didn’t have to play, he perked right up and had all kinds of energy. He probably just needed a little break from the pressure.
“Sebastian put in a great performance and played good. He makes you play balls and you come into the net but he strikes the ball past you. He makes very few mistakes and that’s why he’s been able to win in straight sets against these guys.
“Zach and Vinny are a better doubles pair because Sebastian plays the ball over the net pretty high, but overall it was a job well done.”
Bermuda will now enter the playoffs to decide the final positions between 11th and 15 and will play Panama on Thursday.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service