Davis Cup team on a roll after beating Panama 3-0
Bermuda’s Junior Davis Cup team are on a roll after winning big for the second day running.
Following hot on the heels of a 3-0 win against Curacao on Wednesday, the young squad whitewashed Panama by the same score to continue that winning feeling.
Bermuda are battling it out to finish as high as they can in the competition with their best outcome eleventh if they win their remaining games.
The tie against Panama featured some fabulous performance with Sebastian Pukk continuing his unbeaten run in singles, winning 6-1, 6-1 and delighting coach Steve Bean.
“The score suggests that it was a walkover and an easy match but it was quite the contrary,” Bean said.
“Sebastian is one of those players that you rarely see, he is very defensive, makes very few mistakes and we’re finding out that these youngsters when the ball keeps coming back, they run out of ideas.
“No matter what his opponent did, he was able to counter. He has to step it up in terms of pace but we all know good defence will bring a lot of victories and he hasn’t lost a singles match yet.”
Captain Vinny Boisvert played the second singles match and came through a tense affair 4-6, 6-2, 10-3 to double the island’s advantage.
“Both players started out a little unsettled with double faults and making unforced errors, which is the reason why Vinny lost that first set,” Bean said.
“But we talked about it and he agreed to try to take a bit off his ball and hit it at about 75 percent. His opponent made too many errors so it was great to see Vincent able to adapt and change his game.”
Holding an unassailable lead entering the doubles, the pressure was off Pukk and Zach McGuire and they produced an awesome performance.
“Zach and Sebastian were just too much for their opponents,” Bean said.
“Zach was on fire and Sebastian played a really nice supporting role and they were able to win 6-0, 6-0.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service