Bermuda Junior Tennis team beat Bahamas to continue winning run
Bermuda’s World Junior Tennis team have started to find the winning thread and won for the second day in a row in the Dominican Republic on Thursday.
The three-man squad are playing to work out their overall finishing position and at the start of the day could have finished anywhere between ninth and sixteenth, but a 2-1 win over Bahamas leaves them looking up rather than down
It was Tristan Pettit who led the way, winning the opening singles match 6-0, 6-1 before Tobiah Goodchild was narrowly beaten 3-6, 4-6 in the other singles rubber. Those two players then teamed up in the final match and brought home the victory 6-3, 6-4 and coach Terry Smith was delighted to oversee another win.
“I’m trying to keep them motivated, focused and disciplined enough to realise they can go all the way,” Smith said. “Unfortunately, they are not in the top tier and not through to the final qualifier but to do the best they can and come out with a pretty respectable position.
“Tristan Pettit had a relatively easy match but he stayed focused and used it for practice going forward. Tobiah Goodchild had a tough match against their number one player but It was closely contested.
“For the decider, Tristan and Tobiah played and they won 6-3, 6-4. It was another close match but they played strategically. The boys are pretty upbeat.
Bermuda have two matches left to play in the tournament with the first coming on Friday against Surinam, who were surprise winners over Jamiaca in their previous match
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service