Travel site gives St George ‘picturesque village’ kudos
St George has been named one of the world’s most picturesque villages in a recent article on Yahoo Travel.
The article, by Sandra Ramani, lists the East End town alongside Wengen in Switzerland, Pariangan in West Sumatra, Sidi Bou Said in Tunisia and Bibury in England.
The story emphasised the town’s history as the oldest continually occupied English town in the Americas, saying little in the town has changed since 1612.
A section of the article reads: “Sure, nowadays you’ve got gourmet restaurants, hopping bars and upscale shops specialising in things like hand-rolled cigars and custom-made perfumes.
“But it’s all surrounded by beautifully preserved colonial architecture and historic sites like Fort St Catherine, the 17th century stone State House and St Peter’s Church, the oldest continually occupied Anglican church in the Western Hemisphere.”
The story also notes the Island’s proximity to the Northeast coast of the US.
Useful website: travel.yahoo.com.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service