BHA holds golf tournament in memory of Adrian Hassell
A golf tournament next week will raise funds for a scholarship named in the memory of a promising hotel worker who was killed in a boat crash four years ago.
The Adrian Hassell Memorial scholarship golf tournament, presented by the Bermuda Hotel Association, will be held at Newstead Belmont Hills in Warwick on Friday.
Originally called the Bermuda Hotel Association scholarship, the $25,000 bursary allows Bermudians who want to work in the hospitality industry to attend university overseas.
BHA renamed the scholarship after Mr Hassell, a former recipient of the award, in 2019.
Mr Hassell attended Brock University in Canada and worked on Rising Son cruises and as a concierge at the Hamilton Princess and Beach Club, but lost his life after a boat crash on New Year’s Day 2019. He was 24.
Stephen Todd, from BHA, said that Mr Hassell was a “very outgoing personality who had a promising career ahead of him”.
There is space for 20 teams of four players at the amateur tournament, the first to be held since 2019.
Eighteen teams, some of whom will be coming from overseas, have already signed up.
Teams have until the end of Monday, May 1 to sign up and registration is $500.
People and businesses can sponsor a hole at the course, which will also be $500.
Raffle tickets are also being sold to raise funds and are $10 each.
The grand raffle prize is a three-night stay, including dinner for two, at Naples Grande Beach Resort in Florida.
Other prizes include a one-night stay for two at Cambridge Beaches Resort, two $250 Crisson gift certificates and brunch for four at the Reefs resort.
Players will tee off at 12.30pm and the prize-giving will be held at Divots restaurant at around 4pm.
To purchase raffle tickets, sponsor a hole or register a team, call the Bermuda Hotel Association at 295-2127, or visit the organisation’s office on King Street.
Raffle tickets can also be bought at Speciality Inn in Devonshire and at the event next week.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service