‘It is a big occasion for me, my family and the island as a whole’
Dage Minors made history on Friday night when he became the first Bermudian to run a mile in less than four minutes.
Minors achieved the historic feat when competing indoors in the John Thomas Terrier Classic at Boston University, stopping the clock at 3min 59.35sec, and he is aware of just what a huge moment it is for Bermuda athletics.
“It was a big occasion for me, my family and the island as whole, especially the track and field community,” Minors said.
“A sub four-minute mile barrier is a big thing in middle-distance running and to finally have someone from Bermuda do it bodes well.
“Physically, I knew I was capable of doing it but running is very mental and I was just glad that mentally I was tuned in to be able to do it. The race went well, I positioned myself well and I just responded at every opportunity.”
Coming just two weeks after a stunning performance in the Butterfield Front Street Mile, which he won for the second time, Minors continues to lower all of Bermuda’s distance-running records after setting new national bests over 1,500m and 5,000m last season, and he feels there is more to come.
“This was a good indication of where I am in the season, training had been going well since October,” Minors said. “Hopefully I can build on this and keep continuing to run faster.”
The sub four-minute mile was enough for Minors to finish 13th overall with fellow Bermudians Nathan Armstrong and Ryan Outerbridge finishing 84th and 92nd respectively.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service