Carifta athletes to compete in New York
Some of Bermuda’s Carifta Games athletes will showcase their budding talents at the 2023 Armory Youth Championships in New York on Saturday.
J’Auza James, Shayla Cann, I’aura Golding, J’Naz Richards, Cameron Adkins, Amaris Munya, Azari Jones and Miles Outerbridge form part of a 13-strong Bermuda Pacers Track team making their third appearance at the event this year.
James, who won gold in the boys' 15 to 16 high jump at the championships three years ago, will be looking for more success competing in the boys’ 17-18 age group in the high jump, long jump and 400 metres.
Also competing in the boys’ 17-18 category is Maximillian Reid in the 400 and 800 metres at the USA Track and Field-certified event, which is held at the Armory Track and Field Centre.
Shayla Cann will carry the island’s hopes in the girls’ 17-18 age group in the 400 and 800 metres, along with Golding who is competing in the 55-metre hurdles and the 200 metres.
Outerbridge is competing In the boys’ 15-16 age group in the 55 metres and 200 metres along with Anthony Harkness, who will look to make a good impression in the 1600 metres and 3000 metres on his international debut.
Richards is the team’s lone competitor in the girls’ 15-16 division, where she is competing in the 55 metres and 200 metres.
Andre Hollinsid is competing in the boys’ 13-14 age group in the 55 metres and 200 metres while Adkins, who is also representing the club overseas for the first time, will put his skills to the test in the 1600 and 3000 metres.
Munya and Jones are both competing among the girls’ 13-14 division in the 400, 800 and 1600 metres.
Riana Robinson and Jasmine Reid-Rubaine will take part in the girls’ 11-12 age group. Distance runner Robinson will carry the island’s medal hopes in the 800 and 1600 metres and Reid-Rubaine in the 55 metres, 200 metres and long jump.
The team depart for New York on Thursday.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service