Bus services cut as coronavirus cases soar
Staff shortages have forced bus services to run on an “enhanced Sunday schedule” from Monday, the Department of Public Transportation said yesterday.
A spokeswoman said: “The DPT apologises for the inconvenience caused by the temporary service and is committed to resuming the full published bus schedule as soon as possible.”
She added: “Updates will be provided following a review of staffing levels next week.”
The spokeswoman did not give reasons for the high absence rate.
But several public services have suffered this week because of Covid-19-related mass sick-outs as infection numbers hit new heights.
The Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service had to temporarily close a substation because firefighters had called in sick.
The Bermuda Hospitals Board had to cut the opening hours of the Lamb Foggo urgent care clinic in St George’s for the same reason.
The Government earlier said that there were contingency plans to keep essential services in operation, even if they were hit by staff shortages.
A spokeswoman said last week: “Like the private sector, the Government continues to navigate through an increase in coronavirus cases.
“While there may be some impacts on service in some areas, as a contingency, Government departments are managing through any shortages by either instituting remote working, working on a rotational schedule or redeploying resources where necessary.
“Also, as a contingency, virtual and online methods will continue to be used to provide services to the public.”
The spokeswoman added: “In terms of specific staff shortage numbers, again as advised previously, this will always be a fluid number, as on any given day any particular service may be impacted due to staff outages.
“Further, the Government does not comment on personnel who are out due to illness or quarantine.”
The new bus schedule can be seen here.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service