Conserving water is essential during a drought
We’ve all, by now, seen the effects of the lack of rainfall we’ve had this year. If you haven’t already faced an empty tank, you know someone else who has, and probably have the number of a water truck nearby.
Growing up in Bermuda, we are made aware from an early age how precious our water is and the best ways to conserve. Who didn’t recite the favourite water conservation poem, “In the land of sun and fun, we never flush for number one”, to unsuspecting visitors unfamiliar with living off a tank for their water supply? Or have the rules of short showers hammered into their brain?
Running out of water is frustrating and puts a lot of pressure on our water truck drivers and the environment. As the wait for rain intensifies, here are a few more actions you can take today to help conserve our water, provided by Greenrock.
Examples of actions that individuals can take:
· Ensure regular (annual) checks are conducted on your water tanks and clean roofs tanks should be checked for leaks and roofs maintained to ensure quality water
· Reduce time in the shower (5 minutes max use a timer to help you keep track)
· Do not leave water running while brushing teeth or washing dishes.
· Flush toilets less frequently only when necessary.
· Hand wash dishes instead for smaller families or single persons (extra tip: wash the cleaner, non-greasy dishes first to make water last longer.)
· Run dishwashers only when full.
· If using a dehumidifier, re-use the water for plants, washing dishes.
· Reduce your laundry washing only wash clothes when you need to (and adjust your water settings on washing machine, too); consider consolidating items that can be washed together.
Examples of investments that individuals can make:
· Install water saving aerators on all faucets in your kitchen and washroom. Found at local hardware stores, they are easy to install and can save 20 percent to 30 percent of your water usage.
· Install a water saving shower head to help reduce the amount of water used (this works on standard shower heads). Found at local hardware stores, they are also easy to install and can save 20 percent to 30 percent of your water usage.
· When next purchasing a new washing machine, upgrade to an energy-efficient one according to the Department of Energy, buying a more efficient clothes washer may save enough water over its lifetime to fill 26 water trucks! See more details under “Energy Efficiency” at www.energy.gov.bm.
· Purchase a water cooler that saves money and the environment (compared to buying bottled water) such as the Aquamaker’s “water from air” technology. This produces “practically free”, unlimited clean, clear water. At the same time, it dehumidifies and clears the air of more than 95 percent of contaminants. For more info, visit http://clearwater.bm/waterfromair/.
· If you are building or renovating your home, consider installing a Grey Water system. This system allows you to generate water from the use of the shower, bathtub, hand sink, laundry, kitchen sink and dishwasher. Grey water is a significant water resource, provided it is managed in an environmentally responsible manner, and public health and the health of the household are protected. By capturing grey water and using it in an appropriate manner, it is a viable alternative to using water supply for the flushing of home toilets. It thus provides an opportunity to reduce the amount of water that you consume. For more info, visit: http://www.greenrock.org/tips/69-grey-water-systems
My prison and my paradise
House fire in Southampton
Daughter, 6, took money - what should we do?
Controversial cell tower refused
Winning window brings festive cheer
Record number of Regiment volunteers
Reefs manager is Hotelier of the Year
Bicycle gift puts spotlight on mental health
Take Our Poll
- Which of the following best describes your opinion on how Senior Civil Servant job positions should be granted?
- Senior civil servants should be appointed on a temporary contract renewable basis.
- Senior civil servants should continue to be appointed on a permanent basis
- Don't Know
- Total Votes: 2155
- Poll Archive