Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Fahy: All conversations with waterfront developer were appropriate

Minister of Home Affairs Michael Fahy

The developer dumped from the massive $1.7 billion Hamilton waterfront redevelopment wants $156 million in compensation.

Michael MacLean’s Allied Development Partners was stripped of the 262-year Corporation of Hamilton-awarded lease by Government.

And he said yesterday that Government had asked Governor George Fergusson to set up an arbitration panel to decide how much compensation he should get.

Mr MacLean and business partner Alex DeCouto were awarded the lease in 2012 — but the new OBA administration stepped in and passed legislation to overturn the deal only months after taking power in December, 2012.

Speaking on the Sherri Simmons radio show, Mr MacLean — who said negotiations over compensation with Government had stalemated at the start of last month — criticised the length of time it had taken to reach a settlement.

He added: “On May 2, negotiations ended and the Governor has yet to appoint an arbitration panel.”

And he said that Government should “at least have gotten a valuation and an idea of what this lease was worth and have a number in mind to negotiate with this party whose lease has been voided.”

But he added: “I think there is going to be compensation paid. I’m very confident of that — the amount or the quantum, I don’t know.”

And he warned: “I’m going to get paid — I have prepared myself to go to the Privy Council.”

A spokesman for Government House said: “We can confirm that the Governor has received a request to convene and arbitration panel in this case.

“He has now received representations from the parties of the possible composition of the panel, which he is considering and will shortly inform the parties of this.”

Mr MacLean also claimed he had secretly made tapes of meetings with former Premier Craig Cannonier and Home Affairs Minister Michael Fahy — tapes which they had asked him to delete.

He declined to release the recordings or discuss their content.

But he said they were “conversations which should not have occurred.”

Mr MacLean added: “I recorded it — I feel something was wrong with this process. I decided to protect myself by recording some of these conversations.”

And he said: “Without saying what’s on the tapes, I can only say they wanted the tapes deleted ... they were concerned about something they had done in the past.”

He added: “The Premier and a Minister came to me and wanted the tapes deleted — there has to be something on these tapes they were concerned about.”

But Sen. Fahy — who is in London on Government business — last night dismissed Mr MacLean’s claims.

He said: “This matter has been referred to arbitration pursuant to the Municipalities Act 1923 as amended.

“It would be inappropriate to comment on the matter directly. However I am comfortable that all discussions I have had with Mr. McLean have been appropriate and in the interest of bringing a resolution to the issues in dispute.

“There are vastly different views as to a number of aspects of the claim and as such emotions will run high. We are committed to the process as envisaged by the Act.”

The Allied Development Partners lease was criticised by then-Ombudsman Arlene Brock in a special report into City Hall in December last year.

The report cited examples of “maladministration” — and said the tendering process for the waterfront redevelopment was heavily flawed.

The report led to Sen, Fahy taking control of the Corporation’s “financial administration and treasury functions” until financial instructions were put in place.

Government later passed amendments to the Municipalities Act which ditched the agreements signed between the Corporation and Allied Development Partners.