Truck driver who fled crash banned for year
A truck driver who fled the scene of a car crash was banned from the road for a year yesterday.
Luis Raposo, 37, also admitted that he refused a breath test after the incident in the early hours on August 14.
Magistrates’ Court heard that at about 12.40am, officers responded to a report of a single vehicle collision on St John’s Road, Pembroke, near the entrance to Saltus Grammar School.
Upon arrival, officers found some blood inside an abandoned car, which had hit a traffic pole.
Checks discovered Raposo, from Pembroke, was the registered owner of the car and visited his home.
Officers went to Raposo’s home and said he had been home all evening and his girlfriend had borrowed his car.
However, police noticed Raposo smelled of alcohol and that he had blood on his hand and his ear. His girlfriend also said Raposo had just returned home.
She added that Raposo wanted her to “take the rap”, but she refused.
Officers arrested Raposo, who refused to supply a sample of breath.
Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe fined Raposo $800 in addition to the ban.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.