Island-wide clean-up a double success
Almost 200 loads of bulk waste were disposed of last weekend as part of an island-wide clean-up effort, it was revealed this week.
The bulky waste clean-up, organised by the Ministry of Public Works and Keep Bermuda Beautiful, was designed to encourage the public to dispose of furniture, appliances, rubble and other large items properly.
The ministry waived dump-ing fees last Saturday and Sunday, and trucking permits on the second day, to help boost interest.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works said 199 loads of waste were delivered to the Tynes Bay incinerator or the dump at the airport — more than double the 84 loads received at the same time last year.
Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works, said: “Much of the success of this event is owed to the people of Bermuda.
“I thank you all for ensuring your bulk waste items were sorted and delivered to the correct location for disposal.
“Your efforts helped ensure the process ran smoothly and without delay.”
The ministry also reminded the public that Christmas tree collection in the west will take place next Saturday, with trees collected from Sandys, Southampton, Warwick and Paget, as well as Tee Street and Kent Avenue in Devonshire.
Dickinson: no bailout for retailers
End of the road for Longbird Bridge
Miles Outerbridge: 1933-2020
Dickinson pressed on immigration and debt
Pioneering Gil always looks ahead
At an economic crossroads
Paget Primary takes dose of health history
Liverpool legend Barnes to help guide youth
Hair salon with staying power is in the pink
Mobile app to compare food prices
Dickinson outlines Caroline Bay payout
Butler: make best of $1m Court Street boost
Man accused of drugs importation
Sobriety checks on motorists this weekend
Captive honours for island executives
Ayanna steps up to win top prize
Take Our Poll