Port Royal improvements for PGA event
Improvements will be made to Port Royal Golf Course in advance of the first PGA Bermuda Championship in the autumn.
Zane DeSilva, the Minister of Tourism and Transport, told the House that he would provide an itemised list of the work to be done on the Southampton course, along with the budget for the improvements in response to questions from Michael Dunkley.
Mr Dunkley highlighted that some work was needed on the site because the course’s sand traps lacked sand.
Mr DeSilva said: “The itemised list is being finalised as we speak. As the Member with his past experience knows, these things take a little time.
“As soon as we have those completed, I will gladly bring all those details to this House by ministerial statement.”
However, Mr DeSilva, refused to release the terms of the Bermuda Tourism Authority’s $3.2 million sponsorship agreement for the event.
He said: “Sponsorship agreements and their terms are deemed confidential by the tour for commercial competitive reasons. This is standard across all sports properties.”
Mr DeSilva said no concessions had been agreed for the event, but some may be introduced in the future. The minister revealed that the PGA had hired Bruno Event Team, an Alabama-based sport event organiser, to manage the event.
Mr DeSilva added: “They are the operator of the event and will be responsible for operations and fundraising.
“They are accepting full financial risk for delivery of the event under a contract with the PGA, not the BTA or the Government of Bermuda.”
The Bermuda Championship is a new addition to the 2019-20 PGA Tour and will involve professionals who do not qualify for this year’s World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions event in China.
This year’s event, which will run from October 31 to November 3, will be broadcast on The Golf Channel in 225 countries.
The BTA earlier announced that it will be the main sponsor of the event until 2023.
Richardson takes on Corbishley over comments
New dock faces quick demolition
Elbow Beach to stay shut until 2021
Departing Symonds marks 40 years at BHB
Police officer suspended
Drugs and cash seized in Operation Triton
Charity launches campaign to protect girls
Take Our Poll