Ex-Opposition Leader sued
Mrs. Lois Browne Evans and her husband Mr. John Evans stems from money owing on a purchase, the company's managing director said yesterday.
"The matter has been outstanding for some time,'' said the Hon. irving Pearman. "It has not been resolved.'' Mr. Pearman preferred not to divulge the amount involved.
Lawyer Mrs. Browne Evans, a long-serving MP, refused to comment yesterday and recommended that The Royal Gazette "wait until the trial'' for details about the writ, filed on August 29 with the Supreme Court.
The law firm of Mello, Hollis, Jones & Martin is acting on behalf of Holmes Williams & Purvey.
It was reported earlier this year that a writ filed by Butterfield, Mortgage and Finance Ltd. against Mrs. Browne Evans and Mr. Evans for $175,230 had been discontinued.
Mr. Evans told The Royal Gazette that the matter had been settled out of court.
EX-MINISTER FINED FOR BOAT OFFENCE CTS Ex-Minister fined for boat offence Former Education Minister Dr. Clarence Terceira was fined $75 yesterday for failing to display a registration decal on his boat.
Dr. Terceira, 68, of Point Shares, Pembroke, pleaded guilty to the charge in Magistrates' Court.
Terceira's lawyer, the Hon. Ann Cartwright DeCouto, said Dr. Terceira was out on his 38-foot boat in June when Marine Police pulled up beside him and told him he had no decal on his boat.
Mrs. Cartwright DeCouto said Terceira had left the decal on his desk at home.
MARKETPLCE CHIEF WAS UNREGISTERED CTS MarketPlace chief was unregistered MarketPlace president and general manager Mr. John Carr was yesterday fined $100 for not registering his 37-foot boat.
Carr, 48, of Middle Road, Warwick, pleaded guilty to the charge in Magistrates' Court.
Police prosecutor Insp. Peter Duffy said Police noticed that Carr's boat was unregistered on June 18.
REPAIRMAN STOPS HOUSE-BREAKER CRM Repairman stops house-breaker A repairman making a service call to a house on Harrington Hundreds Road in Smith's Parish disturbed a thief on Wednesday.
Police said the repairman found the thief searching through drawers in the master bedroom of the residence.
"The startled thief quickly made his escape, leaving empty handed,'' Police spokesman Sgt. Chris Wilcox said. "The door had specifically been left unlocked to allow the serviceman to gain entry.
"Whilst this may have been a convenient arrangement for the parties concerned, it is not a practice recommended by Police.'' He noted that Police Crime Prevention recommended that residents ensure their property is secure before leaving their homes.
"Do not leave doors and windows unlocked and do not leave keys under mats or in plant pots,'' Sgt. Wilcox stressed.
TRASH COLLECTION DATE PUSHED UP TSH Trash collection date pushed up Household garbage will not be collected this Monday.
The Ministry of Works and Engineering yesterday announced that residents who normally have their garbage picked up on Monday -- which is Labour Day -- will have it collected tomorrow instead.
Garbage and recyclable should be put out for collection before 7.30 a.m.
tomorrow.
The Tynes Bay Drop-off Facility will also be open, as normal, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and the Waste Treatment Facility will be open from 7.30 to 11.30 a.m.
BOYS ROBBED CRM Boys robbed A group of boys told Police they were robbed of $4 in Hamilton by four other youths.
The incident occurred around 9.30 p.m. on Wednesday as the boys were walking through the Walker Arcade.
One of the victims handed over $4 and a penknife.
Police later arrested four youths on Victoria Street in conection with the incident.