Log In

Reset Password

Vick vows to redeem himself after guilty plea

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) — Looking sombre and speaking "from the heart," Michael Vick apologised yesterday for "using bad judgment and making bad decisions" and vowed to redeem himself after pleading guilty to a federal dogfighting charge.

"First I want to apologise for all the things that I've done and that I have allowed to happen," the star quarterback said at a news conference following his appearance in US District Court to formally enter the plea.

Sentencing was set for December 10 and Vick could be sent to prison for one to five years. Vick was suspended indefinitely by the NFL last week. In Atlanta, the Falcons said they would not cut Vick immediately because of salary-cap issues. The team intends to pursue the $22 million in bonus money that he already received in a record $130 million contract signed in 2004.

"We cannot tell you today that Michael is cut from the team," owner Arthur Blank said. "It may feel better emotionally for us and many of our fans, but it's not in the long-term best interests of the franchise."

Vick made his first public statements on the dogfighting ring and said: "I made a mistake of using bad judgment and making bad decisions. Those things just can't happen. Dogfighting is a terrible thing, and I do reject it." He singled out NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Blank, coach Bobby Petrino and his team-mates for personal apologies, saying: "I was not honest and forthright in our discussions."

He also apologised to "all the young kids out there for my immature acts and what I did — and what I did was very immature. So that means I need to grow up.

"I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to bettering Michael Vick the person, not the football player," he said.

He concluded by saying: "I offer my deepest apologies to everyone. And I will redeem myself. I have to."

Vick took no questions.

He said little in court, standing erect and softly answering "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" to US District Judge Henry E. Hudson's questions. Family members occupied the front row of the packed courtroom for the 15-minute hearing.

The plea by the suspended quarterback was accepted by Hudson, who asked: "Are you entering the plea of guilty to a conspiracy charge because you are in fact guilty?"

Vick answered "yes".

Hudson emphasised he is not bound by sentencing guidelines or the recommendations of prosecutors and can impose the maximum sentence. Prosecutors proposed a 12- to 18-month prison term.

"You're taking your chances here. You'll have to live with whatever decision I make," Hudson said.

"A first-time offender might well receive no jail time for this offence," US Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said in a statement. "We thought, however, that the conduct in this conspiracy was heinous, cruel and inhumane." Vick is one of four defendants in the case.