Govt. agencies help Palmetto workers
of the property approaches.
Government agencies are providing assistance similar to that offered to Marriott Castle Harbour staff -- as both sets of workers lose their jobs within a week of each other.
Marriott is due to shut on November 30 and seven days later the Palmetto closes for an $18 million renovation project.
Palmetto owner Jeff Amaral said they were trying their best, together with Government Training and Employment Services, to assist their 23 staff at what will be a difficult time of year.
"The industry offers very little opportunity for people gaining employment in similar fields,'' he said.
"So many other places are closing for renovation. That aside, our development needs to take this course, but it is hard to put 23 people out of a job.'' Although he said some staff had been offered positions elsewhere, most were adopting a "wait and see'' attitude to the closure.
The overseas staff are expected to return home, although all workers have been offered a chance to return to the Palmetto when the project is complete in 2001.
"We have extended an invitation to everyone of our staff to come back when we re-open,'' Mr. Amaral said. "Palmetto is just a structure, what matters are the staff.
"We have a fairly good relationship with visitors as well as local people, we are trying to convey the same image. We don't want to change the hotel, we want the staff to come back.'' A seminar was held at the hotel this week to help staff prepare for the future, and staff have the opportunity of taking redundancy money.
The new development is on schedule to start work in January, establishing a 28-room hotel, restaurant, health club and spa, and homes.
Eight townhouses starting at $750,000 and six waterfront villas, costing between $2.1 and $2.9 million, will be built on the site.
Three of the townhouses have already been sold and there has been interest shown in the other properties, being marketed by Coldwell Banker.
