Smith hits out at Govt. for late literacy figures
Shadow Education Minister Tim Smith last night condemned Government for waiting a year before publishing figures showing the acute literacy problem that exists in Bermuda's public schools.
Mr. Smith said he "didn't buy'' Education Minister Milton Scott's statement that he needed a year to share with others the results of the Stanford Test, which students sat in October 1998.
Mr. Smith also attacked the Progressive Labour Party Government for not releasing individual results from public schools.
He claimed the former United Bermuda Party Government was making progress on education, but the last PLP Budget put education money elsewhere.
Mr. Smith also alleged literacy was not a priority with the PLP until a few months ago.
On Wednesday, Sen. Scott released the results of the Stanford Test and the Terra Nova Test, which was taken in June this year.
They confirmed fears of a major illiteracy problem on the Island with public school students consistently performing below their counterparts in the US.
The results in both tests were well below expected standards, and Sen. Scott admitted they were poor.
For example, senior three students in the US scored an average of 9.1 on the Stanford Test while Bermudians scored 5.5. Results in the Terra Nova test were 9.9 to 7.7, respectively.
He announced six new education objectives and revealed a draft literacy strategy is being formulated to tackle the problem.
The education goals include ensuring that by June 2003 all students who complete Primary Three, Primary Six and Middle Level Three will be reading on grade level.
Mr. Smith said yesterday: "The Stanford Test was conducted in October 1998.
It took Mr. Scott an entire year to review the numbers. I don't buy it.
"The reality is literacy wasn't a priority with him until it was raised a few months ago.
"Had he told parents, principals, teachers, students and the community a few months ago, we could have all made significant progress.
"The reality is, the UBP government was making significant progress in terms of teacher training, workshops for parents, orientation for principals, and more testing.
"But last year's PLP education budget put money elsewhere. To hear that he is only now developing a draft literacy plan is inexcusable.
"On the matter of publishing assessment results, I do regret that he is not committed to releasing literacy scores school by school.
"I think parents have the right to know. I think principals and teachers in each school should be held accountable.
"I believe the Minister should also work with our private schools and encourage them to release their test results. This way, there is full disclosure, real comparison and true accountability.
"And let me be quite clear and say that there is no reason why public education cannot out-perform private education. But there needs to be a vision and I'm afraid it's a bit lacking.'' Mr. Smith also stressed that efforts to tackle illiteracy problems should start at the pre-school level.