Log In

Reset Password

Logie blasts Sun report

National cricket coach Gus Logie took a mighty swipe at the Bermuda Sun yesterday after an article claimed he was seeking to have the national team tour England this summer.

In his weekly column, Sun columnist George (Recman) Holdipp wrote: “It appears Bermuda’s senior national team have no international commitments until around mid-August and Logie has expressed the desire to have the team in action much earlier. He has asked the Bermuda Cricket Board to look into arranging a tour of England earlier in the summer.”

Logie, however, denied making such a request. And he said yesterday he was seeking a retraction from the Sun columnist and former BCB administrator.

“I spoke to the editor and told him that was totally erroneous and that I wanted it retracted right away,” Logie said.

“There is no truth to that article and I don’t know where he got his sources from. I guess it was just a figment of his imagination.”

The BCB, meanwhile, are expected to announce a start date for the 2007 schedule before the end of the week, Board CEO Neil Speight said yesterday.

Due to the unavailability of club pitches, the Board have had to make a number of changes to the schedule.

The BCB now have provisional plans to start the campaign on Saturday, May 12, with the first round of the Two-Day League.

“Clubs can anticipate one significant change to the schedule in that fielding restrictions now used for One-Day International (ODI) cricket will be incorporated in the 50-overs programme,” Speight revealed.

“This will reflect the compulsory restrictions for the first 10 overs and the two power plays of five overs each that will be utilised at the fielding captain’s discretion.”